Canon S800 vs. Epson Line

[I hope the list does not mind my posting rather than replying directly to
Nick.  I am hoping this is a somewhat useful discussion!!]

Hi Nick --

Thanks for your comments.  Pls forgive my ignorance, but I have a couple of
questions about what you said.  I've written my thoughts below!

Patty

>From: Nick Makris <nick@mcn.org>
>To: alt-photo-process-l@sask.usask.ca
>Subject: Re: Canon S800???
>Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 12:00:41 -0700
>
>Patricia,  The printer you are contemplating is not a mainstream selection.

Do you mean mainstream as far as photographers go?

>It therefore will not be one from which you will enjoy benefits derived
>with
>a mainstream printer, namely the Epson line.  Many after market innovators
>have products that benefit those who have the Epson printers.  If you just
>want to print color images, go for the Canon; If you want flexibility and
>choices, go for an Epson.

I've looked at Epsons and what I do NOT like about them is that many seem
very tied to traditional photographic sizes, such as 4x6.  While many people
will LIKE that feature, I cannot foresee a time when i will print something
4x6 (or 8x10, etc) from a nearly square sx-70 print.  Even when I start
learning transfer techniques, although they are LESS square, they still, I
don't think, print in traditional ratio sizes.

When you say, "If you just want to print color images, go for the Canon; If
you want flexibility and choices, go for an Epson," what do you mean?

I also want to make some pretty small prints -- for notecards and such.
Already I am having to "trick" my current printer into accepting these paper
sizes.  I am less interested in using traditional photographic paper and
will contimue with using more "art" papers more than anything else.  Do my
size and paper type requirements change your opinion at all?

Thanks again for taking the time to send me your thoughts.  I will keep my
eye on the S800 while also going back and re-investigating the Epson line.

Patty