Re: Canon S800 vs. Epson Line

Patty, I will defer to what Guillermo has said below with regard to answers
to your specific questions about the Epson line of printers - nicely said.

Moreso, this list has had this discussion many times, once or twice very
recently.  I will forward to you all the posts about printers that I have
saved (perhaps 100 or more) if you like.

I hope to provide some detailed information about using the Epson 1160 &
1520 printers in the near future.  As Guillermo pointed out, there are
several manufactures of grey/black inks that can be used to replace the
traditional CYMK inks - most only for the Epson line.  I have purchased the
Piezography system for the 1160 & 1520 and I am currently making a
transition from the MIS ink system - not without some difficulty, mostly
with the implementation of hardware.

I now have 4 printers connected to my PC - an HP laser jet, an Epson 1520
(both of these on traditional printer ports), and 2 Epson 1160's on USB
ports.  I use the laser for traditional correspondence, the 1520 will soon
have the MIS ink black/gray set in it once again and it's main purpose will
be for testing the output of a particular image on the much more economical
MIS inks.  One of the 1160's will be for traditional color prints and the
other will be for the much heralded (and more expensive) Piezography
black/grey inks/software.

The Piezography software is a Photoshop plugin that is capable of writing
directly to the printer (especially the 1160) that provides a much more
detailed print and has the effect of reducing/eliminating posterization that
occurs at most levels of resolution when using the standard Epson printer
driver.  Or so the story goes - I'm getting ahead of myself, this is what I
hope to report on in the near future.

Many thanks,

Nick