Arrowroot

>> Arrowroot is found in the spice section of the grocery store. It is
>> used to thicken sauces.
>
> Not in the shops I know here in Germany. I only find potato and corn
> starch. When I once asked for arrowroot starch, I was answered: "This is an
> alimentary store, you know!"
>
> Lukas

Arrowroot is sometimes called St. Vincent's Arrowroot. Its botanical name is
Maranta arundinaceae. There is another, similar, starch called Brazilian
arrowroot. This is made from the manioc family. If you've traveled in
Africa, you'll often find manioc cooked on braziers with hot cayenne pepper
sprinkled on top. Most of the places it's called casava. It is also known as
tapioca.
I purchased tapioca starch in my local Vietnamese/Asian market. It cost
about 45¢ (US) for 1/2 a pound.

Jack Fulton