arrowroot

On Fri, 24 Aug 2001, Lukas Werth wrote:
> Not in the shops I know here in Germany. I only find potato and corn
> starch. When I once asked for arrowroot starch, I was answered: "This is an
> alimentary store, you know!"

There is (or used to be) a bland biscuit for babies called Arrowroot
cookies. Also a pudding called arrowroot pudding, which isn't the same as
tapioca pudding: tapioca makes a bubbly custard -- the traditional "fish
eyes and glue," as we used to call it at camp. The boiled custard (blanc
mange ?) is smooth.

My ancient Joy of Cooking fails to give a recipe for arrowroot pudding,
but says under "Substitutions" that "2 teaspoons arrowroot equals 1-3/4
tablespoons flour when used for thickening purposes." I bought arrowroot
in a gourmet health food store, and if such exists in Germany maybe they'd
have it too.

HOWEVER, in my experience those ingredient changes ever give the stated
color changes anyway.  For another example, the books say a borax rinse
or 1st developer makes purple VDB. Never happened here, not even a twinge.

Judy