Re: warning to the warned

At 01:59 PM 08/23/2001 -0400, you wrote:
>dear list,
>
>Of course we all know about not opening free-range attachments, but I have
>gotten so MANY in the last few days, each with different subject
>line...thought a reminder might not hurt. This one was something about
>Cisco. Two yesterday -- I forget their "topic." They read like this, and
>in case anyone else answers mail in a fog (doesn't everybody), it's the
>virus du jour. But this come on is getting tired. Hope I'm awake when
>they start the next one.
>
>It read:
>
>=============
>
>Hi! How are you?
>
>I send you this file in order to have your advice
>
>See you later. Thanks
>
>============================
>
>cheers from Judy

  This is the Sircam virus which is going around at the moment. It mails
itself to every e-mail address it can find in your machine, not just those
in your mail reader address book.  Its a pain to remove. If you find you
have it a computer pro is suggested.
  Anti-virus programs can detect it as can firewall programs such as Zone
Alarm. It may also be good practice to set your mail reader so that it
doesn't download mail larger than a certain size. I've done this with
Eudora. I was getting about a dozen of these a day about two weeks ago. Its
dropped to maybe one a day now.

Its described at: http://www.cert.org/advisories/CA-2001-22.html
  This site has a number of links to other virus sites, including those
below, which have instructions for removing it manually if your machine
becomes infected.

http://www.antivirus.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=TROJ_SIRCAM.A

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm@mm.html

----