RE: MOUNTING

From: Andy Darlow (andy@andydarlow.com)
Date: 12/01/01-03:45:39 PM Z

>I am not a conservator, but I am a framer. Someone asked about references -
>one set of standards that framers and conservators follow is those put forth
>by the Library of Congress. General information can be found at
>http://lcweb.loc.gov/preserv/.
>
>I would recommend a non-adhesive mounting process for overmatted
>photographs. For small photos (less than, say 16x20) that would be
>conservation Mylar corners. For larger or heavier pieces, mounting strips
>that support the edges instead of the corners.
>
>Just one opinion,
>
>Nick

I often see float mounts with watercolor papers that are beautiful.
Usually the paper can be seen curling a bit here and there. Is there
a particular way of doing this that won't become undone over time and
won't damage the artwork? I suppose it would need to be able to
withstand travel too.

Thanks,

-Andy Darlow