RE: MOUNTING

From: Nick Frazier (giganerd@mindspring.com)
Date: 12/01/01-09:10:56 PM Z

Float mounts can be done by a couple of different methods. The piece should
be as flat as possible. You will have to use hinges that attach to the
back - the proper way is with 'rice' paper and wheat or rice starch. It's an
involved process that takes some practice but can be done at home. If you
don't want to go to all the trouble, find some water-reversible rice-paper
or linen hinges.

You want to create either a 'T hinge' or a 'V hinge'. There are websites
that describe these hinges - it would be difficult to fully explain without
pictures. Standard disclaimer applies here: I'm not an expert. Consult a
trained conservator or a framer you trust (framers are like butchers or auto
mechanics - find a good one and make them your best friend). And it's always
a case-by-case basis concerning the best way to mount something - there are
always tradeoffs. (For example, rice paper is strong along the grain, but
won't withstand travel as well as linen tape. However, linen tape may tear
off some paper if the piece is dropped, whereas rice paper is designed to
break before it damages the artwork.)

Nick