RE: MOUNTING

From: garimo (omirag@cruzio.com)
Date: 12/01/01-06:42:53 PM Z

Hi Andy,
 I mount prints this way when I want to show the ripped edges of the
paper or when I'm mounting some hand made paper... and I learned from
this list (I won't name names to protect the innocent) to fold a piece
of paper ( I've been using the same cotton papers that I print on) that
is about 1 inch X 2 inches, (I guess the size would depend on the print
size and the weight it needs to support) in half, then using archival
glue (I use "Yes Paste" it will not discolor or wrinkle any papers
reguarless of how thin) put paste on both the top & bottom of the
folded paper and paste the print to the mat backing. It takes several
of the small folded papers to hold a print. Press while glue dries.
 By gluing with the folded paper, if ever the print needs to be removed
from the mat backing, just rip the folded paper at the crease.
 I cut strips of fome core 1/2 inch thick and paste to the inside edge
of the frame after the glass is in, then the mounted print has a half
inch space between it and the glass. This has been working for me so
far. It looks good and if there are any draw backs that I can think of
is that someday there may be a little square piece of paper attached to
the back of the print.

garimo