RE: MOUNTING

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 12/01/01-10:58:45 PM Z

On Sat, 1 Dec 2001, garimo wrote:
> ... ( I've been using the same cotton papers that I print on) that
> is about 1 inch X 2 inches, (I guess the size would depend on the print
> size and the weight it needs to support) in half, then using archival
> glue (I use "Yes Paste" it will not discolor or wrinkle any papers
> reguarless of how thin) put paste on both the top & bottom of the
> folded paper and paste the print to the mat backing. It takes several
> of the small folded papers to hold a print. Press while glue dries.
> By gluing with the folded paper, if ever the print needs to be removed
> from the mat backing, just rip the folded paper at the crease.

But then you have the pieces of paper still fastened to the back of the
print? If you want to re-mount, you put other pieces of paper next to
them? However, I would EXPECT that in time the thickness of the paper
could become visible through the print unless it's on quite heavy paper.

I have generally left a wide enough border of paper around the print so I
could nail it, tape it, or whatever to whatever and it wouldn't show or
matter. But now I'm working larger & big sheet doesn't fit conveniently in
a tray, let alone several at a time, so I'm planning to trim tighter.
Usually a heavy gum watercolor paper will lie flat, if it's not a lot of
coats, and/or the coats are even, and it's tray sized -- that is,if the
gelatin isn't just on the front.

But I have some prints on thin paper with more coats in some areas, so the
paper definitely buckles. I expect to try simply flattening in hot
drymount press, then leaving in press to cool. However, my hunch is that
with time and humidity the buckle will reappear, leading to tearing up or
drymounting.

I used to drymount silver gelatin, because I was printing pretty much edge
to edge... no way to keep the print flat otherwise. Those prints are still
fine... I have not yet drymounted a gum... If however, it's mounted on 2-
ply a *tiny* bit smaller than the print, I doubt it would be evident. (Tho
would probably need another piece of paper on the back.)

Judy