Re: Gelatin Hardening

Smieglitz@aol.com
Date: 12/03/01-05:41:10 PM Z

In a message dated 12/03/2001 10:54:06, you wrote:

<<I've always followed a two-step procedure when hardening gelatin sizing in

preparation for gum printing. Specifically, I've coated the paper with

gelatin, let dry, and then immersed the paper in a glyoxal solution.

Recently I read about an method in which the hardener is added to the

gelatin prior to its being applied to the paper, thus saving a step. Has

anybody here had experience with this approach? Does it work?>>

I've had success using this method with formaldehyde and submersion, but I
think the 2-solution process is probably best in terms of disposal. The
separate hardening bath can be reused and replenished as needed. If you add
the hardener to the gelatin, then you have a toxic gelatin to dispose of
rather than a gel that can just be thrown away.

Joe