Re: Stain Redux - Pyrocat HD and Tri-X: was Double Dipping

From: Linas Kudzma (lkudzma@earthlink.net)
Date: 12/31/01-11:47:08 AM Z

Clay,
 I need to get more experience with BPF now that I found that Pyrocat makes
it more usable for my purposes. My recent foray into ULF with my homebrew
8x20 makes the Bergger film especially important, because I understand that
big BPF is readily available. Currently, I am using the mystery Pan125 film
from Photo Warehouse that Carl recommended. It does indeed behave like FP4+.

I use the metol version of Pyrocat only because when I first mixed it up I
only had metol on hand. I liked the results with FP4+ so much that I just
kept using this formula and felt no need to try the updated phenidone
formula. If a 1/4 stop of speed is the only advantage as Sandy says (and
who would know better than him!) I see no need to change.

Linas

using

> the phenidone formula found on unblinkingeye.com, not the metol formula
you

> apparently are using. Is this the formula originally published in

> Post-Factory?

> Clay

> ----------

> >From: Linas Kudzma <lkudzma@earthlink.net>

> >To: alt-photo-process-l <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>

> >Subject: Re: Stain Redux - Pyrocat HD and Tri-X: was Double Dipping

> >Date: Mon, Dec 31, 2001, 12:04 AM

> >Clay,

> >I really can't answer your question about Tri-X and Pyrocat-HD, however I

> >can share some very recent results with Pyrocat.

> >I first tried Bergger's BPF 200 with PMK pyro (trays) and was
underwhelmed

> >to say the least. Such a high overall "fog stain" that contrast for Pd/Pt

> >printing was terrible. Rollo Pyro was better, but I still was not
terribly

> >pleased with these negatives. In my hands, Rollo Pyro/BPF negatives just

> >did not have the contrast of Rollo/FP4+ or Rollo/Tri-X.

> >This weekend I developed a few 8x10 sheets of BPF 200 negs (rated at 100)

> >in Pyrocat-HD, using the older metol formula, rotary agitation (8 min)
and

> >the 1:2:100 dilution. The result was excellent negatives for Pd/Pt! These

> >negatives were FAR superior for Pd/Pt to the previous BPF200 pyro negs
and

> >I now consider this film useable. Before, I honestly could not understand

> >how anyone liked BPF for Pd/Pt. I need to try Pyrocat with Tri-X,
because

> >I absolutely love Pyrocat results with FP4+ and now BPF 200.

> >Linas

FP-4,

> >and

> >> HP-5.

> >> Today I was out shooting 7x17 with Tri-X, and was shocked to see a lot
of

> >> fog+stain even in the border areas of the negative. I seem to remember

> >Sandy

> >> saying something about a foggy result when he tested the developer on

> >Tri-X

> >> as well. Anybody else had experience, good or bad, with this film and

> >> developer combination?

> >> As an aside, I am really sold on Pyrocat as an inexpensive easy-to-use

> >> alternative to Rollo. On the first three films I mentioned, I get
really

> >> great results without a lot of fussing. It really tames the hair
trigger

> >> response of TMax 400 nicely. Seems like 10-11 minutes at 75 degrees
with

> >> that film will almost always give me a palladium ready negative.

> >> Any input would be enlightening.

> >> Clay

Linas Kudzma