Re: Desk top paper negatives - wax?

From: dbaird (dbaird@flint.umich.edu)
Date: 02/01/01-11:02:24 AM Z

> As to printing in orange -- sounds like working up densities by
> cheating, i.e. very promising ;-) I'd very much like to give it a go
> too. But at present I don't have the time to go through the required
> testing. Is there any public domain knowledge about this?
>
> Andre

Andre,

I believe Dan Burkholder's book (and workshop) is the primary source for this
information. In general you would use only the magenta and yellow pigments of a
CMYK digital file. The curve is modified for output to approximate traditional
alt-process negative's density by only blocking UV light through color
absorption (orange blocks blue). The orange color effectively blocks UV (blue)
light similar to how black density works though its relative opacity. It works a
bit like pyro development. Just think of the entire negative as a stain with
variable densities.

Is this at all clear(?)... I'm not sure. English is a difficult language, I've
only had fifty years practice so far.

-- Darryl Baird