RE: Desk top paper negatives - wax?

From: Andre Fuhrmann (Andre.Fuhrmann@uni-konstanz.de)
Date: 02/01/01-10:36:33 AM Z

Hi Judy,

the vellum I use is manufactured by CANSON. It came in an A4 sized
pad of 60 sheets at 90-95 g/sqm. On the back it reads (in German):
"Highly transparent drawing paper with microsmooth surface [... more
praise ...] highly suited for reproduction processes." I managed to
solve the blotch & blob problem by adjusting the gradation curve
without falling below acceptable hilite density. Here I should add:
acceptable for gum, cy or VDB. Sorry, I have not measured values.
This particular vellum does show some texture -- as, I guess, all
paper does -- but the texture is very homogeneous and at any rate
does, to my eye, nothing irritating to the final print. Some vellum
papers are coated with some smoothing stuff on one side only. It may
therefore be worth trying both sides.

Let me add a word as to why I like vellum for negatives. I tried
paper and various kind of transparent material before. (Good) paper
is very nice in principle. But I just hate this waxing business, not
to mention oiling. Transparencies left me entirely disappointed so
far: not enough density, ink smear, banding, coating grain, and more
-- a horror story. Ditto (= horror) with negatives from laser
printers. I should mention one drawback with vellum: it doesn't take
too well to heat. There comes a point when it starts to shrivel.
Good news: (a) my exposure times usually fall short of that point,
(b) if the vellum does shrivel, it flattens out again when it cools
off.

As to printing in orange -- sounds like working up densities by
cheating, i.e. very promising ;-) I'd very much like to give it a go
too. But at present I don't have the time to go through the required
testing. Is there any public domain knowledge about this?

Andre