Re: registering paper negatives

FotoDave@aol.com
Date: 02/03/01-08:45:55 AM Z

<< Now the trick is to either 'shrink' or
'expand' the print until registration is perfect. Use a hairdryer against
the back of the print to shrink it. Use a barely damp sponge to moisten the
back side of the print if it needs expansion. Once the printed registration
dots match the holes in the negative, throw it in the vacuum frame and make
the exposure.

Dave,

I tried something similar to what you described once. I dampened the back slightly so that the paper would flatten. This was gum print, by the way, but I got horrible result. The second coat stained terribly.

I never tried it again, but now rethinking about it after seeing your description, it sounds like the staining might have been caused by poor sizing rather than the dampening.

I will try it again. Did you have to do anything different (like adjusting your emulsion strength or sizing the paper differently) when you used dampening?

Dave S