Re: registering paper negatives

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/03/01-06:24:29 PM Z

On Sat, 3 Feb 2001 FotoDave@aol.com wrote:

> << Now the trick is to either 'shrink' or
> 'expand' the print until registration is perfect. Use a hairdryer against
> the back of the print to shrink it. Use a barely damp sponge to moisten the
> back side of the print if it needs expansion. Once the printed registration
> dots match the holes in the negative, throw it in the vacuum frame and make
> the exposure.

I found that moistening back of the print spoiled the print -- at least
with that paper, & presumably many others, damper made paper more
sensitive, so there was big dark area in center. Or maybe it was just
staining from the damp. Either way, a mess.

As for heat drying to shrink -- heat on emulsion tends to reduce its
sensitivity, thereby changing exposure time. And if heat not applied
perfectly evenly, could show in print as well.

If you've factored in all these variables (also perhaps in tricolor the 3
colors sort of even everything out), may not matter. But to me the EFFORT
& the risk, too high. I couldn't bring myself to go through all that to
register each coat. Not for pleasure, anyway.

Judy