Re: registering paper negatives

From: Sarah Van Keuren (svk@steuber.com)
Date: 02/03/01-08:06:09 PM Z

The practice of punching holes in the margins of a print destroys some of
the 'object quality' (a term I picked up somewhere and liked) of the print,
INHO. Although I write notes describing each layer of the print in pencil
around the edges of my sized BFK on the image side and although I don't mask
margins and a pattern of brushstrokes of different colors builds up around
the image,the print develops a warm handled look that punched holes would
take away. Like Judy, I prefer to register by eye and if some dimensional
change has occurred I choose what will be in focus and what will fall out of
focus. I have found that little pieces of magic mending tape, that I've
pressed against my fingers to take away some of the tack, can hold the thin
edges of an 8x10 pinhole negative (exposed in a film holder), overlapping as
little as 1/8 of an inch. The rest of the strip of tape anchors the negative
to the printing paper. Using transparent tape means that the painted margins
are not interrupted with tape shapes. Two pieces of tape, each less than
half an inch long, are all that I usually need.

Sarah Van Keuren