Re: Posterization Study

Ender100@aol.com
Date: 02/04/01-12:21:39 AM Z

Jeffrey,

How would you propose to do your output for the negative? Piezography on
film? Piezography seems to give smoother gradients... but all printers still
print in 256 levels (8 bit), regardless....even though you can send 16 bit
files in Photoshop 6.0, they get converted to 8 bit before printed. Or, are
you still considering multiple negatives?

I'm wondering if you worked with color and were able to determine different
colors that would hold back the spectrum of light for Pt/Pd in varying
degrees (possibly with overlapping r/g/b steptablets... and do the output on
a lightjet printer on film? This might give you a lot more steps.... 256 x
256 x 256, or even if only two colors could be used, then you would have 256
x 256 levels. You might be able to combine two different scans of say red
and green to give you something interesting..one scan tuned for the
highlights and one scan for the shadows...

I am trying to remember how many levels in a gradient the human eye can
detect.... maybe that number plus 10% to be on the safe side would be
sufficient. I'm sure someone on this list would remember...well, enough of
this late night rambling.

Mark Nelson

In a message dated 2/3/01 11:21:55 PM, jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net