Re: registering paper negatives

From: Lukas Werth (lukas.werth@rz.hu-berlin.de)
Date: 02/04/01-04:58:45 AM Z

>Basically what you're doing is accepting "some dimensional change" and then
>making a compromise in print quality. With 8x10" prints, this is not a big
>issue. But, by using pin registration, and controlling dimensional change,
>it's possible to have *everything* in focus. If the goal is to have
>deliberately degraded print quality, that's OK.... again, it's a matter of
>aesthetics. Some of the first gum prints I ever saw (in a Manhattan
>gallery) were of the 'fuzzy mud' variety. I wanted to vomit when I saw
>them. But, I'm sure other people would view the same prints and be
>impressed by the 'soft, painterly quality'! When I began making my own gum
>prints, I took great pains to hold fine detail. What I like about gum is
>the ability to make a distinctly sharp photographic image that has the look
>and feel of a fine watercolor painting.
>
>Very interesting to hear of other's approaches to printing. Thanks for
>sharing, Sarah.

Dave,

I am currently practicing direct a pigment process quite similar to gum
(casein). I am printing 8x10 in-camera prints, and exact registration is a
*big* issue for me, because I also want the pictures, printed on smooth
paper, to hold detail.
In fact, I found that very slight changes in the paper dimensions may spoil
a print. I am using pins for registering, and fix the paper on glass
plates, but still I found it is advisable paying attention to humidity and
temperature.

My question is: has anybody tried drying agents, or chemicals providing
constant humidity? I do this for chrysotypes, and am tinking of trying it
for pigment prints, too. (Don't really know why I haven't tried it yet, for
it has been on my mind for some time.) Calcium chloride as a saturated
solution gives, as far as I know, about 45 % RH in a closed container. A
cheap solution is a cat litter tray with a smooth board on it. For larger
prints, one has to find larger dishes, and the space for them (a problem
with me), but I think the procedure might be worth trying, particularly for
those without an AC providing absolutely constant conditions.

Lukas