Re: preshrink was register p/negs

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/04/01-05:41:03 PM Z

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Peter Fredrik wrote:

> So Dave if you gave your paper this pre shrink treatment firstly ,you
> would not need your paper size adjustment technique with the possible
> risk of pigment staining.

Pete, I also did some paper shrink tests, but had different results from
yours... first of all I'd say a piece 9 by 4 inches doesn't tell the
story, unless that's the size you're printing.

I found 22 inches by about 18 inches didn't stabilize if rh changed...
Haven't got my notes in front of me, but found changes after 2 shrinks,
including one very long one, again after gelatin, again after hardening --
AND, assuming changes in room temp/humidity at any time after that.

A paper could shrink only 1/8 inch in 22 inches, enough to ruin register,
but maybe not enough to show in only 9 inches. Etc.

Note also, some papers change in only 1 dimension, some in both.

Plus, IME 10 minutes isn't meaningful soak -- especially on a thick
paper, barely wets. Of course, if you're printing digital negs, they may
not be in the water longer. Mine can soak for hours.

Incidentally, your tests described on this list a couple of years ago with
several soaks for testing were original inspiration (OK frustration was
too) for this series of tests -- went on over several months.

When I'm a more perfect person I'll write it up for P-F, meanwhile -- the
business about soaking in HOT water looks again, like myth. My tests
showed no difference in shrink. I didn't test every variable, but a long
soak in room temp gave same shrink as 1 hour in hot -- and since the hot
cools down right away anyway, saves on fuel bills & less discomfort in
summer. A huge tray of hot water heats room quite effectively.

Judy