Re: QUESTIONS for Dave R,. Re: registering paper negatives

From: Dave Rose (photo@wir.net)
Date: 02/05/01-08:26:54 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Judy Seigel" <jseigel@panix.com>

> On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Dave Rose wrote:
> >
> > My exposure unit is a homemade fluorescent UV tube light box -
approximately
> > 22 x 26" O.D. (a size that you could use even in a $2,500 per month
>
> Yes, that's about the size, but I need my borders... no room for holes.
>
> > Manhattan studio apartment). The vacuum frame is also a homemade
affair.
> > The sheet of polyester covering my vacuum frame is flexible and will
flex to
> > accomodate the 'bumps' created by the Bregman pins.
>
> The light goes through the polyester?

+ Yes, the polyester is "Kleerbase" brand. It's used in the printing trade,
and as the name suggests, is clear and transmits light.

> > ... One of
> > my goals with gum printing has been to capture detail as clearly as
> > possible. (Since I use a 4x5 view camera, I can't get away from that
> > mindset).
>
> I'm curious how you enlarge the 4x5 ???

+ B&W original
1. Contact print the negative onto another sheet of 4x5, to create an
interpositive.
2. Enlarge onto lith film, to the size desired.

Color transparency original
1. Create a highlight mask, register it with the chrome, and then make a
contrast mask.
2. Enlarge the masked chrome onto lith film, to the size desired.
Note: with a very low-contrast chrome, it's sometimes possible to skip step
1.

> > When I began gum printing, I re-registered negatives to prints by the
> > 'center outwards' method, taping the two together when it looked right.
> > Compared to my current method, that was always more time consuming,
> > difficult, and yielded less satisfactory results (in terms of sharpness
and
> > capture of fine detail).
>
> Maybe you just got better in the interim?

+ Yes, but, the pin-registration method does offer many advantages.

Best regards,
Dave Rose AKA Cactus Cowboy
Big Wonderful Wyoming

Crassula ovata flowering: