Expert Drum 3006, Rollo Pyro & 5x7" films

From: Philippe Ayral (payral@club-internet.fr)
Date: 02/05/01-12:21:32 PM Z

I have a big problem with that combo.

I bought few months ago an Expert Drum 3006 to develop my 5x7" films in Rollo
Pyro.

Before that I was developing in dishes with PMK but I found difficult to work
with gloves, so I bought the drum.
I use it with an Uniroller motor base modified to go one way only.
5 x 7" films are loaded into the drum with the curl along the 7" length
of the
film.
Almost all my films have the same uneven shape of development. It's
along each
7" side of the film, large about 1/4 inch , long about 4 to 5 inches and
always with the same shape, thinner at the center like a bow pointing to
outside the film.
It's often difficult to see by eye but really visible when you print specially
highlights (with Pyro, stain is increasing the difference)
I did try almost everything including very carefull DRY loading, wet loading,
etc. but I have always that problem.
Last week-end I develop 4 films, I didn't use the drum for more than two weeks
so It was very dry, I thought It was OK when I looked at the negatives but
problem was there on the print (delicate water values on Zone VIII)

Is there a solution other than going back to dish development ?

Everybody seems to be happy with that drum on the net and get very even
development, why there is such a problem with me ?
I hope you will understand my explanations, english is not my mother
language. I can send a negative scan to illustrate my problem.