Re: Expert Drum 3006, Rollo Pyro & 5x7" films

From: Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Date: 02/05/01-11:20:18 PM Z

>I have a big problem with that combo.
>
>I bought few months ago an Expert Drum 3006 to develop my 5x7" films in Rollo
>Pyro.
>
>Before that I was developing in dishes with PMK but I found difficult to work
>with gloves, so I bought the drum.
>I use it with an Uniroller motor base modified to go one way only.
>5 x 7" films are loaded into the drum with the curl along the 7" length
>of the
>film.
>Almost all my films have the same uneven shape of development. It's
>along each
>7" side of the film, large about 1/4 inch , long about 4 to 5 inches and
>always with the same shape, thinner at the center like a bow pointing to
>outside the film.

I would suggest the following as possible solutions to your problem.

1. Presoak the film in either a plain water bath or in a slightly alkaline
water bath for 5 minutes. This procedure has been known to solve many stain
problems with Pyro development.
2. As others have suggested, turn the drum from time to time to change the
direction of rotation.
3. About every 2 minutes pick up the drum and agitate it vigorously
sideways. This breaks the laminar flow that can cause bromide drag.
4. Make sure you are using enough developer. I recommend a mininum of about
150ml of a dilute developer like PMK.
5. Make sure that you wet the film with the developer *all at once.*

Sandy King