Re: preshrink was register p/negs

From: Sarah Van Keuren (svk@steuber.com)
Date: 02/05/01-04:43:38 PM Z

> When I'm a more perfect person I'll write it up for P-F, meanwhile -- the
> business about soaking in HOT water looks again, like myth. My tests
> showed no difference in shrink. I didn't test every variable, but a long
> soak in room temp gave same shrink as 1 hour in hot -- and since the hot
> cools down right away anyway, saves on fuel bills & less discomfort in
> summer. A huge tray of hot water heats room quite effectively.
>
> Judy

How wonderful that a long soak in cold water can equal a short soak in hot
water! I like the green idea of not heating the water. But I thought hot
water made clothes shrink in a way that no duration in cold water could do.
Once I boiled a pair of size 7 pigskin gloves in red dye and they shrank to
infant size but leather is different from paper and maybe clothes are
different from rag paperŠ

Sarah