Re: preshrink was register p/negs

From: Peter Fredrik (pete@fotem.demon.co.uk)
Date: 02/05/01-06:44:00 AM Z

Dave Rose wrote:

> Pete wrote:
>
> (snip)
> > So Dave if you gave your paper this pre shrink treatment firstly ,you
> would
> > not need your paper size adjustment technique with the possible risk of
> pigment
> > staining.
>
> Prior to the first printing, my paper is soaked in water and dried
> (pre-shrink treatment), dipped twice in a Knox gelatin solution and dried
> (sizing), and dipped once into formaldehyde and dried (hardening). The
> problem is due to changes in relative humidity, and is unrelated to any
> pre-shrink treatment.

> You are proberly right dave but Iwas just reporting a piece of practical
> experimentation I treid.The paper did stabalise and remained stable for
> ten soakings. I originatly tried this method following an e:mail by
> Christopher Tsouras which wasvery interesting and informative

>>Substrate and gum, on his method of paper conditioning

These edited highlights are of particular interest to me, I am in no way
questioning Christopher's technique which sounds great, and I am sure
works very efficiently.

 have been most satisfied with the incredibly tight registration, In my
humble experience what appears to be of paramount import is my initial
shrinking of the paper. I place the paper in a deep tray of hot water (hot
as possible)for a minimum of thirty minutes

 Christopher's then bakes the paper in a flatbed dryer and follows by and
two further sizing
stages and baking stages, making three wet and dry stages, then he claims
that firm stabilization takes place.

>> my king size sheets if washed in extremely hot water and dried with
heat will end up queen size
(shrunk in all directions). The heavy pre-shrinking(certainly not a new
idea) I utilize allows me to consistently print large images with
meticulously accurate registration using simple 2 pin registration.<

His point about pre shrinking I think is very apposite, we are after all
dealing with cotton, we call it paper but it is in fact cotton, the same as
our sheets ,
shirts and blouses .
Cotton is a strong resilient fabric I have shirts that have been laundered
hundreds of times and they haven't changed size during the whole period of
this harsh ware and tear, in this respect Christopher methods seem quite
gentle in comparison.

I hope this helps

Pete

The key could lie in the baking /shrinking combination