Re: Saving JPEG's for Web use?

From: Nick Makris (nick@mcn.org)
Date: 02/07/01-08:58:02 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Rose" <photo@wir.net>

> for webpage use. If I scan at 72 dpi and save as a JPEG to a final size
of
> about 40kb, the quality is OK.

Dave, 40KB is about twice what the size a 4X5 image should be - I always
strive for about 20KB or less. Only very occasionally will I need to make
an image larger to get the quality I think I need. For the record I use
adobe LiveMotion for making my web images and it allows me to select the
quality/size level at the time that I save the image. Photoshop and Image
Ready, among others, also provide this feature.

Check any image you find on the net by right clicking on it and then
clicking on properties - this will tell you how large the file is in bytes.
The images on my web site are all 15-25KB and I think the quality is close
on most all of them.

Nick

"Your Image is Our Business"
707-785-2085