Saving JPEG's for Web use?

From: Dave Rose (photo@wir.net)
Date: 02/06/01-10:23:29 PM Z

Hi Gang,

I've done a lot of experimenting with my Microtek Scanmaker 4. I'm now
getting scans from 4x6" prints and 4x5" film that appear to be acceptable
for webpage use. If I scan at 72 dpi and save as a JPEG to a final size of
about 40kb, the quality is OK.

I'm planning to construct a website loaded with many photos. Since I suffer
terribly from a crappy internet connection here in NW Wyoming, I'm very
sensitive to slow downloads. I'm struggling to determine what's the best
compromise between quality and speed. Since I'm about to spend countless
hours scanning hundreds of photos, some tips and guidance would be very
helpful, and much appreciated.

Questions:

Is 72 dpi the 'optimum' for webpage use?

Is 40kb a good compromise between quality and fast downloads?

In Photo Paint, I have the option to select encoding as either "progressive"
or "optimize". I like the thought of doing progressive JPEGs, so should I
save the JPEGs this way as a matter of course?

Is there any real advantage to making 48bit scans, or should I just speed up
the process by doing 24bit scans?

Thanks,
Dave Rose AKA Cactus Cowboy
Big Wonderful Wyoming