Sizing Problem - Gum over Kallitype

From: Keith Gerling (kgerling@ameritech.net)
Date: 02/07/01-11:37:20 AM Z

Several months ago, I was able to successfully print gum over kallitype.
Now I'm having severe problems and am wondering if anyone might have any
suggestions. Briefly, my process is this:

1. Shrink and "unsize" Fabriano Uno paper.
2. Print Kallitype
3. Brush size with gelatin
4. Harden, and proceed with gum process

The problem I am having is that the hot gelatin is causing the kallitype to
bleed all over the paper. Tests with current kallitypes show bleeding
even with hot water. The kallitypes were developed in Sodium Acetate using
some Potassium Dichromate for contrast tweaking and Citric Acid to alleviate
a yellowing problem. They were then cleared in EDTA, fixed with hypo, and
washed. Previously, I had no problem with this procedure, but obviously
some variable has changed.

I am looking for a method of cold-sizing. Acrylic sizing results in pigment
staining. I'm wondering if anyone has had success with using gum itself
(un-pigmented, of course but with dichromate) as a size. It recollect
hearing about it at one time, but paid little attention because gelatin had
always worked for me.

As my lame ISP is currently having DNS problems (again, but that is another
whole rant in itself!) I am unable to access the list archives. Maybe
somebody can send me the IP address?

Thanks,

Keith