Re: Sizing Problem - Gum over Kallitype

From: Sarah Van Keuren (svk@steuber.com)
Date: 02/07/01-07:28:06 PM Z

> I am looking for a method of cold-sizing. Acrylic sizing results in pigment
> staining. I'm wondering if anyone has had success with using gum itself
> (un-pigmented, of course but with dichromate) as a size. It recollect
> hearing about it at one time, but paid little attention because gelatin had
> always worked for me.
> Thanks,
>
> Keith

Keith, I printed for a few years using Strathmore 500 (2-ply) with a layer
of dichromated, unpigmented gum as size. Trouble was that the glue holding
the plies of the paper together was acidic and yellowed the paper and I
switched to printing on BFK Rives with gelatin sizing hardened in
formaldehyde. One layer of the dichromated gum size was not sufficient with
the fuzzier BFK. I did experiment and found that two layers worked but I had
come to like the other way of sizing. Vegan students sometimes use the
dichromated gum method since they don't want to use gelatin.

Sarah