Re: preshrink was register p/negs

FotoDave@aol.com
Date: 02/09/01-04:49:57 PM Z

<< I note that I felt my measuring wasn't accurate
 enough (generally shrink range from 1/16th to 1/8th inch) to work less
 than half sheet (15 inch by 22), though maybe that was simply lack of
 method on my part.

Hi Judy,

I think that is about the accuracy that we can expect from the paper itself.
There is a certain randomness is papermaking process (especially for the
handmade paper), so I don't think we can be very precise in predicting the
expansion / shrinkage.

>> In any event, I found fastening to a rigid substrate the safest, but
 that's such a HASSLE when you get to large...

Me too, but I don't do the complete fastening to rigid substrate. I did
something similar to watercolor paper stretching, that is, to fasten only the
borders. That works beautifully when it works. I have used sanded plexiglass
for the substrate and elmers glue to glue the borders, but if the paper is
the one that shrinks/expands a lot, that the glue is not strong enough to
hold it for the long soak. Another method that I have used is to stretch the
paper first, after it dries, glue it using rubber cement to the subtrate
(again, just the borders), and this works even better because rubber cement
is not water soluble.

But as you said, when it gets larger, it gets a little cumbersome especially
when you are doing a lot. I am currently thinking about using aluminium
picture frame. Wet the paper, while it is still moist, fold it back against a
piece of glass, then put it in a frame and let it dry. It will be well
stretch. This eliminate the need of gluing and worrying that the glue might
not hold while developing. I think it should work, but I haven't tried it
yet.... I haven't made a print for about half a year now. :(

PS: I am going to send in the subscription to PFP. I have put that down on my
Day-Timer for a while but haven't done that. :-)

Dave S