Re: preshrink was register p/negs

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/10/01-12:01:07 AM Z

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001 FotoDave@aol.com wrote:
> I think that is about the accuracy that we can expect from the paper itself.
> There is a certain randomness is papermaking process (especially for the
> handmade paper), so I don't think we can be very precise in predicting the
> expansion / shrinkage.

That's some comfort. But, still, whatever it turns out to be we've got to
get RID of it !

> >> In any event, I found fastening to a rigid substrate the safest, but
> that's such a HASSLE when you get to large...
> >>

> Me too, but I don't do the complete fastening to rigid substrate. I did
> something similar to watercolor paper stretching, that is, to fasten only the
> borders. That works beautifully when it works. I have used sanded plexiglass
> for the substrate and elmers glue to glue the borders, but if the paper is
> the one that shrinks/expands a lot, that the glue is not strong enough to
> hold it for the long soak. Another method that I have used is to stretch the

Yeah, I found by 2nd or 3rd loooong soak it began to float free.

> paper first, after it dries, glue it using rubber cement to the subtrate
> (again, just the borders), and this works even better because rubber cement
> is not water soluble.

But i can't imagine rubber cement holding a big paper strongly, unless you
have super rubber cement out there...

> But as you said, when it gets larger, it gets a little cumbersome especially
> when you are doing a lot. I am currently thinking about using aluminium
> picture frame. Wet the paper, while it is still moist, fold it back against a
> piece of glass, then put it in a frame and let it dry.

Is there enough space between glass & frame to allow 4 thicknesses of a
reasonably thick paper? I guess you could trim the glass -- but that's
still got to be a tricky fit to hold.... I would think.

It will be well
> stretch. This eliminate the need of gluing and worrying that the glue might
> not hold while developing. I think it should work, but I haven't tried it
> yet.... I haven't made a print for about half a year now. :(
>
> PS: I am going to send in the subscription to PFP. I have put that down on my
> Day-Timer for a while but haven't done that. :-)

thanks in advance, 8- >

Judy