Re: preshrink was register p/negs

From: Dave Rose (photo@wir.net)
Date: 02/09/01-10:49:19 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sarah Van Keuren" <svk@steuber.com>

"It was BFK Rives paper. I had no idea there could be shrinkage, using hot
water, of nearly 1/4 of an inch within a 14 inch stretch along the length of
the paper and no shrinkage at all in the 10 3/4 inch width."

Dear Sarah,

I'm also printing gum on Rives BFK. My empirical observations match your
findings. In addition, I've found that the build-up of successive gum
layers on the print also impacts on the paper's dimensional stability,
independant of the relative humidity factor. This is one reason that I
began masking my negatives. I found that the full-density 'dark borders'
were creating problems, especially after the fourth, fifth, or sixth etc...
printing.

Sarah again, from an earlier posting:

Since I
>>have committed to the gum process, I am being lead by the materials to see
>>gum printing metaphorically. It has something to do with transparent
>>memories stacked in our brains, of insects trapped and preserved in amber.

Well said! I can definitely relate.

Best regards,
Dave Rose AKA Cactus Cowboy
Big Wonderful Wyoming