Re: preshrink was register p/negs

From: Sarah Van Keuren (svk@steuber.com)
Date: 02/09/01-09:31:02 PM Z

> You don't say which paper you tested. Different papers seem to have
> different shrink patterns, though second tests at other times gave
> different patterns for the same paper, so who knows, maybe it's just how
> paper lays in the tray !! Is it any wonder register is a problem?
>
> For what it's worth, I note that I felt my measuring wasn't accurate
> enough (generally shrink range from 1/16th to 1/8th inch) to work less
> than half sheet (15 inch by 22), though maybe that was simply lack of
> method on my part.
>
> In any event, I found fastening to a rigid substrate the safest, but
> that's such a HASSLE when you get to large...
>
> Judy

It was BFK Rives paper. I had no idea there could be shrinkage, using hot
water, of nearly 1/4 of an inch within a 14 inch stretch along the length of
the paper and no shrinkage at all in the 10 3/4 inch width.

But with soft pinhole negatives, registration hasn't posed such a problem
for me ‹ except when I try to eyeball the placement of a mask over part of
an image and make a mistake in taping it down, as happened in one of the
prints I'm sending for the traveling portfolioŠ I sent flawed prints because
they will be handled and maybe damaged. Ones that I consider perfect are few
and far between.

This substrate problem seems like a tough one to resolve.

Sarah