Re: Pictorialism, Steiglitz, NY times review

From: Pam Niedermayer (pam_pine@cape.com)
Date: 02/11/01-02:54:29 PM Z

It's been a long while since I've studied who did what vis a vis the
movement away from pictorialism; but I recall that it was the west
coast f64 group who were instrumental in that move, that Stieglitz
wasn't all that involved or important in the move. I thought
Stieglitz's primary contribution was the ennobling of photography as
an art.

Also, maybe the market had a lot to do with the move, that probably
more people bought sharp prints than unsharp, that the sharpness was
seen as being more "photographic", better representing our world as we
see it, perhaps seemingly "without human intervention", some sort of
post WWII machine age movement?

Pam

--
Pamela G. Niedermayer