Pyro shelf life?

From: Darryl Baird (dbaird@flint.umich.edu)
Date: 02/11/01-10:07:32 AM Z

Hi All,

I've been back in the darkroom and developing with my standard setup for
pyro. I mix 2 (separate) liters of A and B Rollo pyro developer. (I add
the water to each solution, so I only have to mix the appropriate
amounts of each into the beaker, pour it in and agitate.) The A mixture
is only slightly amber for the first couple of weeks of shelf life, but
turns quite deep amber over time.

It has been about two or three months since my last film "run" and it
seems my development is on the under side. Some of this film was shot
while on the same trip as my last run, so I have some comparative film
examples to check. I know I'm not being too scientific about this, but
before assuming the worst about the A developer, can anyone comment on
this? I know the stock solutions have excellent shelf life (Gordon
Hutchings says ten years!), but what about my ready to use, separate
solutions??? I assumed distilled water wouldn't alter the keeping
properties of the developer.

--
Darryl Baird