Re: Pictorialism, Steiglitz, NY times review

From: Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Date: 02/11/01-10:21:47 PM Z

I offer this for the textbook argument:

Modern Photography: Any photography made after the invention oftheshutter
in 1863

Post Modern Photography: Any photography done after the invention of ready
made materials.

Pictoralism: Photographs made to specifically express a romantic notion or
to illustrate an idea higher or beyond the factual record of what's in front
of the lens.

Today [reluctantly quoting Allan Coleman, here] we have a unique activity in
the world of photography [note the absence of quotation marks] in so much
as all the photographic processes to make photographs are being used by
photographers.

What I always liked about Steichen was he made due with what he could
afford, portrait lenses; and from that created exciting art work that held
together even once he could afford better lenses.

Steiglitz was a man ... .

S. Shapiro, Carmel