Re: Curry and pt/pd

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 02/12/01-06:34:48 AM Z

Craig Koshyk wrote:
> ... the
> small amount of pot ox I had on hand was well past its "sell by" date the
> last time I made some prints so I disposed of it. ...

Potassium Oxalate (dry form) does not go "bad" by old age no matter what
date is on it. If mixed in solution, it will keep as well. However, an
accumulation of iron and metal salts from developing prints may
eventually lead to the slight fogging of prints. Usually enough
developer is carried off with each print requiring replenishment with
fresh developer so that the amount of impurities is kept minimized.
Development time longer than a minute may raise the impurity level in
the developer.

> ... So the next time you are out of a pt/pd or kallitype developer check the
> medicine cabinet or the spice rack. You may be able to develop that print
> afterall.

Interesting story, however one should compare the results of a "new"
developer with those of what they had been using (typically potassium
oxalate for Pt/Pd). One should find that the potassium oxalate
developer will likely produce a print with more depth and substance far
superior to that produced with other developers. I have tried several
other developers and have always decided to stay with the potassium
oxalate. Sometimes (as with Ammonium Citrate) if the "other" developer
is mixed (50-50 for A.C.) with potassium oxalate the qualities of
excellent depth and substance can be retained while taking advantage of
some of the traits of the other developer.

Just because an image has formed, does not guarantee it merit. Edward
Weston had stated that a great print could even be made on a bath mat.
True, but this is not haphazard; it is only after one has mastered
printing on bath mats and employs the necessary associated materials and
methods. Has anyone seen a Weston printed on a bath mat?

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/