Re: Curry and pt/pd

From: Craig Koshyk (chiendog@pangea.ca)
Date: 02/12/01-09:41:56 AM Z

>> ... the
>> small amount of pot ox I had on hand was well past its "sell by" date the
>> last time I made some prints so I disposed of it. ...

The potassium oxalate I had left was a too small amount of solution that had
held out for over two years but was ready for a change since it had not been
replenished for quite some time and was too little to cover the print. I
should have said it had reached its "throw out" point.

>> ... So the next time you are out of a pt/pd or kallitype developer check the
>> medicine cabinet or the spice rack. You may be able to develop that print
>> afterall.

  One should find that the potassium oxalate
> developer will likely produce a print with more depth and substance far
> superior to that produced with other developers.

I use potassium oxalate as my regular developer for a number of reasons. It
seems to be more active, requiring less exposure for a print. Prints
developed in Bromo Seltzer (sodium citrate) require about 30 to 50% more
exposure. Prints developed in MSG require a bit more again. Since I make
many of my prints on fixed out baryta paper which requires up to three times
the exposure as a print on cotton papers, this can be a big deal. Potassim
oxalate also gives me an image colour that I like, although sodium citrate
gives a very pleasant warm tone to palladium prints which I like very much.
MSG tends to give a cooler tone and in some prints a bit of grain.

> Just because an image has formed, does not guarantee it merit.

Indeed, no matter what it is developed in, Pot Ox, MSG or...Sodium Ascorbate
my next project.

CK