Re: Print drying - was: preshrink

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/12/01-08:25:55 PM Z

On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, Sam Wang wrote:

> Since there is so much discussion on paper shrinkage, and we all know
> that speed of drying affects shrinkage, (right? Is it safe to assume
> that?) how do you dry your alt prints?

Sam, No, I didn't know that. Have you tested it? I'd bet that a week
later all would have equalized... and that's the rub. For a system of
controlled drying to be useful I would SUPPOSE you'd have to print at a
set interval after "dry" -- because I would SUPPOSE that the newly "dry"
print would reabsorb some humidity from air while it's lying around
relaxing and waiting to be coated. Either that, or continue "drying" if a
really thick paper.

I'll add, BTW, that anyone disciplined and organized enough to make every
subsequent coat at a set interval after the previous one probably doesn't
have register problems (or talk to the likes of us) anyway.

Judy