5X8 holders, was Re: Definition of alternative photo processes

From: Sandy King (sanking@hubcap.clemson.edu)
Date: 02/14/01-03:58:56 PM Z

John,

I have seen 5X8 holders for sale on ocassion on ebay. Of course there was
not much standarization of size back in the late 19th century so even if
you find one you might have to make some extensive modification to them to
fit your camera.

Another possibility would be to find some old 5X7 wooden holders (which
were available for plates and film) and extend them an inch by splitting in
the middle and adding an inch to the sides, central septum and slides. You
might also have to add or subtract width and depth but if you have
woodworking skills this work would not be terribly complicated.

The most expeditious avenue was already suggested, making a 5X7 back for
the camera, or perhpas installing an adaptor on your existing back to allow
you to use it with 5X7 holders.

Whatever you do remember that the most imporant measurements with camera
back/film holder combinations are the displacement of the ground glass and
the T dimension (measurement from septum to sides of film holder). These
measurments must be the same or the image on the ground glass will not be
in focus on the film or plate.

Sandy King