Re: Print drying - was: preshrink

dsbryant@telocity.com
Date: 02/14/01-09:14:59 AM Z

All,
> I am sorry not to be the one with a drying cabinet, but actually, I have
> thought of this before, and I think I am going to construct one in a short
> time.

I haven't built a drying cabinet for paper but I did roll my own for drying film. After examining the cost of materials I decided to start with a steel cabinet purchased from an office supply. The cost of this was less than half of the cost of materials if built from wood and a lot of the work was already done since it had doors with handles, etc. I did have to use a cold chisel to break welds to remove shelving but that was a minor procedure. Additionally I have considered adding a light bulb covered with a 2lb coffee can to provide passive heated air flow but that hasn't proved to be necessary. The cabinet works great and I never have dust spots from drying. The top of the cabinet has threaded rods to attach clips to hang the film and I have dried gelatin size paper in the cabinet as well but it does seem to take a long time since the cabinet is very air tight. Something to think about.

Good Luck,

Don Bryant

Don Bryant