RE: Coating glass plates

From: Peter Marshall (petermarshall@cix.co.uk)
Date: 02/16/01-02:56:36 AM Z

> So far I have not heard of any modern wet plate photographers
> disappearing
> due explosion but then this process has only been renewed with numerous
> folks doing it in maybe the last 10 years

Nor have I, but there were certainly some such disasters in Victorian
times, and I think Bill Jay has written something about this recently.

I used to make guncotton when I was a chemist/chemistry teacher and use it
to enliven some demonstrations. I suspect with current health and safety
regulations I would no longer be allowed to.

Like many other things in the hands of those who know what they are doing,
and have suitable equipment the risks are minimal, but it should not be
attempted unless you have the proper training.

Didn't table-tennis balls used to be made from cellulose nitrate -
possibly they still are?

Peter Marshall
Photography Guide at About http://photography.about.com/
email: photography.guide@about.com