Re: Platinum (11) chloride

From: Jeffrey D. Mathias (jeffrey.d.mathias@worldnet.att.net)
Date: 02/20/01-06:38:42 AM Z

Tony McLean wrote:
> Most of us purchase palladium (11) chloride and add sodium chloride to make
> the double salt, sodium tetrachloropallidate as it is more economical to do
> so.

The two reasons I purchase PdCl2 and not a double salt (such as
PdNa2Cl4) are:
1) (and most important) PdNaCl4 (as well as the other related double
salts) strongly absorbs water from the air (hygroscopic), and as a
result it is extremely difficult to weigh accurately.
2) The PdCl2 can be mixed with any of the alkaline chloride salts at
discretion.

> Can we do the same with platinum? ie. purchase platinum (11) chloride and
> add potassium chloride to make the double salt, potassium
> tetrachloroplatinate.

No, better to leave this to the precious metal manufacturers. An easy
result of making K2PtCl4 is the production of K2PtCl6 (not very soluble
and unwanted). Also PtCl2 is insoluble in water or methanol but is
soluble in HCl or NH4OH making use more "advanced".

Price wise, companies like Englehard charge for the precious metal as
well as the production cost. The production cost is typically much
lower than the metal cost. Also typically, the double salt will cost
less than the single salt plus the alkaline chloride salt.

--
Jeffrey D. Mathias
http://home.att.net/~jeffrey.d.mathias/