Re: UV exposure units

From: Steve Shapiro (sgshiya@redshift.com)
Date: 02/25/01-12:05:22 AM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@ix.netcom.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2001 1:19 PM
Subject: Re: UV exposure units

> At 01:14 AM 02/24/2001 +0000, you wrote:
> >Be on the lookout for a Morse Contact Printer. THE best one ever made,
> >but heavy and expensive, With mine, I can print 10 inch by many feet
> >using roll stock.
> >
> >Bob
> >
> Be aware that there were a number of models/versions of this printer,
not
> all have the roll film adaptor on them.
> Morse printers were made for printing aerial film. Although most were
> sold to the military they were also available for civilian purchace direct
> from Morse.
> The printers have 39 argon lamps in them and four neon safelight bulbs.
> The argon lamps are still available but cost around $12 US each, if you
buy
> a printer make sure all or most of the lamps work.
> Also, make sure the air bladder which forms the pressure plate is OK.
> Small leaks can be fixed with a bicycle tire kit, but a blader with many
> leaks is rotting and should be avoided. I have onece or twice seen new
> bladders for sale on eBay, but don't count on finding one.
> The printer has a separate switch for each lamp plus a group of switches
> which acivate lamps in circles to correct for edge fall off in negatives
> shot with Metrogon lenses.
> Typical military construction, if your house fell down the printer would
> probably survive.
> I got mine at a local camera show for $20 because the top plate had been
> broken and the diffuser glass was cracked. The diffuser works fine with
the
> crack, but replacing the top plate with the right kind of glass is not so
> easy. The usual green colored window glass absorbs a lot of UV, the
> original was clear glass (Bob please confirm this).
> The green glass will work (that's all I could get) but probably extends
> exposure time by twice.
> Mine came with a stainless steel adjustable mask and no roll holders,
> other versions come with roll holders for 9" or 10" aerial film, but do
not
> have the masks.
> ----
> Richard Knoppow
> Los Angeles,Ca.
> dickburk@ix.netcom.com

Mine arrived with a broken glass by FedEx from where I bought it off the
Web. I was advised to buy a cut ground glass from Stephen Schuart in Phila.

While, I spoke to him I have yet to find the time or the need; mine came
with eight extra Aargon bulbs. The bulbs can be had from Japan for about $6
to 8 dollars a piece.

Ansel had Alan Ross mount his on a wall to project through his 8X10
negatives. In the end, Ross applied for and has the only patent for the
8X10 enlarger and has it produced by Bessler.

I want to sell mine. I have an 8X10 condenser lens and a slide; all you
would have to do is make a bellows and front negative holder press with a
lens and you'd have the 'mural enlarger' with burn-in capability from the 39
bulbs.

S. Shapiro