Re: UV exposure units/Stochastic screening

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/25/01-06:10:39 PM Z

On Sun, 25 Feb 2001, Tod Gangler wrote:

Hi Tod,

Cut....

> .... Many shops use the newer High
> D-Max films (with developer incorporated) designed to make a harder-edged
> dot which is easier to plate or print in offset printing, but I think that
> those films often produce streaking or banding when we try to imageset only
> these small stochastic spots. The older imagesetter films without the
> incorporated developer work much better for stochastic negs for alt-photo
> use, for me.

 Please do not think I failed to grasp any detail of your expert
disquisition... However, a propos of stochastic dots, looking at the ramp
I printed with the Epson, it dawns that the stochastic dots *look like*
shades of grey, not black as halftone dots -- is that the problem with
imagesetter films -- or do I leap to conclusion?

 Meanwhile, what advice can you offer to those of us planning (hoping?) to
make negatives at home, not by imagesetter, but by printing with the Epson
(stochastic!) dot?

Precise repeatability probably not major issue for these negs, also, your
experience with imagesetter negs may not be transferable.. but...
wondering.....

Judy