Re: UV exposure units - stochastic screens

From: Judy Seigel (jseigel@panix.com)
Date: 02/26/01-10:05:57 PM Z

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, David J. Romano wrote:
> One other thing, there is another stochastic screening program available
> from UGRA of Switzerland called Velvet Screen. I used to work there and
> have used the program alot. It's not too expensive and works right on
> your own computer. Never tried it with alt process though.

Actually, David (and Tod), I didn't WANT stochastic, I like the halftone
dot. But I wanted to make larger negs than I could make (I thought) on my
laser printer. Now I'm told there is a 14 by 19 (or thereabouts) inch
laser printer, tho I don't know the cost. Meanwhile, I bought the Epson
1160 for $180, plus another $140 for the software to connect by ethernet,
but have yet to do or actually TEST PRINT a negative, for..... various
reasons. It's been a learning experience of sorts, so far -- but now am
preoccupied with Issue #6 & will have to continue this education at future
date.

It can, I imagine, go either way, or both ways at once -- my contact for
gum printing is NOT with vacuum frame, could perhaps be so soft banding
will be over-the-top. Or, since gum has large dot gain & paper with some
texture, perhaps contact isn't so critical. (Glad of the warning, though
-- could save considerable tail chasing.)

But Dan Burkholder showed me a negative on clear film printed in orange,
which made a very good NOT-digital or stochastic-looking print in
palladium... so I'm wondering if commercial parameters and alt parameters
work differently ???

To be continued,

Judy