Re: Color of Vandyke Browns, was First Kallitype

From: Joe Portale (jportale@gci-net.com)
Date: 01/02/01-09:11:49 AM Z

For what it is worth, heat is the first recorded method of toning all of the
earlier processes. Herschel reported that a salt print when a hot iron was
passed over the image showed a definite color shift. I do not know the
chemical changes that occur during this process. But it would be safe to
assume that heat drives out any humidity contained in the image, rearranging
the image crystal molecules. The effective color of an image is directly
related to the crystalline structure that forms the image. Bigger crystals
reflect a different wavelength than small ones. Different metals have
different sized crystals. The application of heat changes that surface
structure forming the color changes. Color shifts due to chemical toners
operate on a different level, but the underlying principle is the same. The
crystals of silver are plated with another metal changing the size of the
image forming crystals. This plating alters the way light is reflected or
refracted off the image forming crystals.

I am not a chemist/physicist, nor do I play on television.

Joe