Re: Color of Vandyke Browns, was First Kallitype

From: Sarah Van Keuren (svk@steuber.com)
Date: 01/02/01-09:43:40 PM Z

Thanks, Joe. I find your explanations helpful and in line with the little
bit that I know, or think I know, already ‹ such as the brown of vandyke and
P.O.P. coming from very finely divided silver, and the blacks of silver
gelatin coming from larger crystals, and blue/black tones (of Azo?)
reflecting from even bigger crystals. I like to have explanations for
phenomena like these even if I can't prove it like a chemist/physicist.

One aspect of vandyke that I've never had a pop-science explanation for is
how the dilute fixer reduces the silver nitrate to metallic silver. Can you
help me with that? If I don't respond it is because I'm going to be away and
without a laptop Jan. 4-19.

Sarah