Re: Piezography

From: Larry Roohr (lrryr@home.com)
Date: 01/03/01-06:48:50 AM Z

FWIW, I ran a completely un-scientific test on both my scanner and Piezo
output on the 1160. I scanned in a negative of an Airforce resolution test
target from my Contax G1 (>80 lpmm) at 2500 dpi on my Agfa T2500 scanner,
got ~45 lpmm, then expanded it 2x (so I could read the numbers) in photoshop
and printed it out (at 1250 dpi) on Epson matte paper with the piezo driver,
got ~9-10 lpmm. Pretty sharp against the old '8x10 at arms length perceived
sharp at 5 lpmm' rule of thumb but certainly not near whats achievable with
a large negative contact print, if ultra-sharpness is what floats your boat.
I find these prints very sharp, without doing any side by side comparisons
to say a 20 lpmm analog equivalent which I trust would be a percievable
difference.

16 bit printing was discussed lately on the piezo list and the Cone guys
believe the difference between 8 and 16 bits would be negligible.

Dan, any word on the transparency material you were running your survey on?

Larry