Re: Gum and India

From: Randall Webb (randall.webb@lineone.net)
Date: 01/04/01-07:42:28 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: <FotoDave@aol.com>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2000 11:26 AM
Subject: Gum and India
Dave wrote.

> << Oh yes, I have heard of gum and india. Never tried it.
> >>

> I have never heard about it. What is it and where can one find more
> information about it? Thanks in advance!
>
> Dave S >>>>>>>

Dave.
        This comes from a textbook on photography that I bought years ago at
a street market. It was published about 1920. I bought it simply because it
had an item on using stale beer in collotype production. That's my sort of
chemistry!
I quote the process in full. You will have to translate the amounts into
real money.
It is mercifully brief. About 50 words or so. Much shorter than Farber!

" Indian Ink Process. Float Rives or similar drawing paper on

Ferric Chloride . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .30 grains
Citric Acid . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 30 grains

Print under a negative till the picture becomes visible and then develop it
in a solution of gelatine containing Indian ink, or any other water colour.
The coloured gelatine should adhere only to those parts where the light has
acted. "

There is also a description of "photo sculpture" in the same book. It's
quite long - about 300 words. You can have it if you wish.

Randall Webb