Re: First kallitype

From: Randall Webb (randall.webb@lineone.net)
Date: 01/05/01-11:08:39 PM Z

----- Original Message -----
From: Rod Fleming <rod@silversalt.co.uk>
To: <alt-photo-process-l@skyway.usask.ca>
Sent: Monday, January 01, 2001 2:34 AM
Subject: Re: First kallitype

Rod wrote.

> BTW I was quite amused to hear Randy Webb questioning Richard Farber's
> authority on DOP Kallitype. I don't think Farber's work is by any means
> exhaustive, but nevertheless he manages roughly 5000 words of well
> researched and informative copy on the subject, whereas in "Spirits of
> Salts" Randy dismisses DOP Kallitype as not worth the effort in 500 words
> which do not even mention the need for a separate clearing stage.

I hope I didn't refer to it as DOP kallitype. As Judy says - is there any
other sort.
Judging from the time and date of yr message I was wondering if you might
have been mixing too much 16 year old Ardbeg with the hogmanay. ( Obscure
Scottish joke).
Seriously though, I'm not questioning Farber's authority, I was just saying
there is a better one out there. Anyway the thought of having to read 5000
words on kalli wants to make me do something more constructive - like
watching paint dry! I think 500 hundred words is quite enough. As a matter
of interest Crawford in Keepers of Light( are we allowed to mention him?)
calls kalli the second method after VDB. He only wastes about 400 words
including toning.
I don't do much kalli on the principle of why do it the hard way when there
is an easy one. The ones I did for the book were as far as I can remember
were done without clearing agent according to Stevens. If I had used one it
would have been potassium oxalate which is filthy stuff. I anyone who had
bought one of the prints and in a fit of enthusiasm had tried to chew one
it could have been dangerous.
If you believe that you'll believe anything!!!!!!!
Regards
Randall Webb